cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect SSL client uses IPSec?

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I am trying to setup an AnyConnect SSL VPN connection and receiving an IPsec error?  The error I am getting is:

"The IPsec VPN was terminated due to an authentication failure or timeout"

The Group policy that I am using has only SSL AnyConnect checked off. So I am confused as to why the error mentions IPSec.   Furthermore,  I found the error in the AnyConnect documentation but if only serves to further confuse me.  It states that this error is caused due to  authentication error or certificate issues.

But the error comes after I authenticated at the portal and the client has been downloaded.  I also hit "connect anyway" at the SSL cert warning appears.  So it would seem that the issues the documentation mentions do not apply to this situation.

Any ideas?

TIA.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the transport protocol specified in your locally-stored connection profile? (xml file stored in "C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile" on Windows 7).

That setting determines what transport is used / attempted. You will generally still use SSL for client services (updating AnyConnect and profile updates most commonly) and thus see the SSL certificate being used whether or not the VPN is SSL or IPsec with IKEv2.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the transport protocol specified in your locally-stored connection profile? (xml file stored in "C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile" on Windows 7).

That setting determines what transport is used / attempted. You will generally still use SSL for client services (updating AnyConnect and profile updates most commonly) and thus see the SSL certificate being used whether or not the VPN is SSL or IPsec with IKEv2.

That did the trick!

Thank you sir.

Diego

Thanks, 6 years later still relevant.  Think this was a product of connecting my AnyConnect to many locations, one of which downloaded a profile, than affected my connection to another VPN.  Just deleted everything in that folder (C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile), and was on Windows 10. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card