Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5500 Active Stand Failover - Standby IP

Jasonch518_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is a primary and standby IP address required for EACH interface on the firewall for failover to work properly?

I have setup a pair without having a standby IP on all interface, and only having it on the stateful failover link, and failover seems to work fine, however SNMP graphing does not.

I am being told that failover requires a standby on each interface, but this is the first time I am hearing this, so wanted to see other users experience.

The only problem I am seeing is when a failover pair does not have a standby IP for each interface, that the graphing does not work.

Thanks for any comments.

3 Replies 3

srue
Level 7
Level 7

the only time i've ever seen it configured w/o standby addresses is in a lab. failover worked in and of itself, but like you're finding out, there are side effects to this configuration.

if you have the addresses to spare on each interface, just configure standby IP's.

Thanks for the replies.

r.spiandorello
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've never realized an active/standby configuration without the standby inteface IP and I cannot find informations about that on the user guide.

bye

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card