cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505, EIGRP split horizon

Keith Wood
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small environment that I wanted some redundancy in. It consists of two layer 3 switches that are connected with each other and they both connect to an ASA 5505, forming a triangle in logical architecture. EIGRP is running between all of them. Neighbor relationships form between each of the L3 switches and with the ASA, but when the cable between the two L3 switches is disconnected, routing between them does not pass through the ASA. I've bypassed this by issuing 'no split-horizon eigrp <AS>' on the SVI on the ASA that communicates with the L3 switches and the routing passes just fine. Everything works as intended... until the ASA reboots. For whatever reason that command is wiped from the SVI every time the ASA is rebooted. Even after a reboot, the startup config shows the command on the SVI, but it never gets loaded into the running config. Is this a bug? Or an intended feature? I'm running 9.1(1).

5 Replies 5

This does sound like a bug, though I have not been able to find any documentation on it.  Have you tried upgrading to the 9.1(3) version? could this be an option?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

Confirmed. 9.1(3) does the same thing. The split-horizon command shows in the startup config, but will not be loaded into the running config upon reload. I made sure to load 9.1(3), manually add the command onto the SVI, write the config and then reload. Upon rebooting into 9.1(3) again, the command is ignored.

is the ASA booting from the startup config or has the startup config file been changed?

show bootvar

--

BOOT variable = disk0:/asa913-k8.bin

Current BOOT variable = disk0:/asa913-k8.bin

CONFIG_FILE variable =

Current CONFIG_FILE variable =

could you check the configuration register, if it is not set to 0x1 then you need to change it to this value.

show version | in register

config-register 0x1

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card