Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 - Password

Amir Eskandari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am new with ASA devices

I have a ASA 5505, the former IT manager does not remember the password of it. I am just wondering do I lose the configuration on it if I reset the

password?

if yes, how can I download the configuration before resetting the password.

and how can I upload the downloaded configuration

Thank you in advance for your time

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This Cisco document should detail the steps for Password Recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1058131

Basically what this does is

• It boots the ASA without configuration
  • When its booted up you copy the original configuration to the ASA
  • Since you have already booted the ASA and have a management access to it copying the old configuration from the startup to the running configuration wont effect your management connection (in other words you will not be prompted to autenticate)
  • In between you should be able to use the typical show commands to get the configuration copied to Notepad or even send it to tftp server I guess

There are several guides online or even videos on Youtube which go through the process more clearly than the simply section of Cisco document I linked above.

You shouldnt loose your configuration unless you somehow manage to overwrite it

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This Cisco document should detail the steps for Password Recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1058131

Basically what this does is

• It boots the ASA without configuration
  • When its booted up you copy the original configuration to the ASA
  • Since you have already booted the ASA and have a management access to it copying the old configuration from the startup to the running configuration wont effect your management connection (in other words you will not be prompted to autenticate)
  • In between you should be able to use the typical show commands to get the configuration copied to Notepad or even send it to tftp server I guess

There are several guides online or even videos on Youtube which go through the process more clearly than the simply section of Cisco document I linked above.

You shouldnt loose your configuration unless you somehow manage to overwrite it

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Thank you so much for your reply. Actually I have tried the procedure on my other ASA 5505 as a test and it worked but I do not want to create a mess in my real network. until I have to.

any way thank you so much for your time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card