cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 Resetting to Factory when it Reboots

Jake Pratt
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA 5505 that is resetting to factory defaults every time it reboots.  I write to memory every time, but as soon as the power is disconnected, or I reload it, it boots back up as "ciscoasa" with the factory defaults.  Does anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I wonder if your ASAs Config Register value has been set so that it boots ignoring the Startup Configuration.

Can you check the output of "show version" command and copy/paste the line starting with "Configuration register is ..." here.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I wonder if your ASAs Config Register value has been set so that it boots ignoring the Startup Configuration.

Can you check the output of "show version" command and copy/paste the line starting with "Configuration register is ..." here.

- Jouni

As a reference, usually the ASA is set to 0x1 so you should be seeing this if that was set

Configuration register is 0x1

- Jouni

Thanks for your help.  It would have taken me a long time before I looked at the configure register.  Mine was set to 0x41.  So I changed it, using:

config-register 0x1

After that, I reloaded the ASA, and it saved the config like normal.  Thanks again for your help, and fast response!  You saved me potentially a couple hours of troubleshooting and rebuilding my ASA.  Rebuilding it twice was enough for me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card