Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-5510-k8 vs ASA-5510-k9

ejeangilles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone new the difference out there between an ASA5510-k8 and k9. Is this a software or hardware version. If I was using 2 ASA's in failover/standby environment those the 2 need to match or can these be different. Any feedback would be helpful Thanks.

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Edwin,

Please see below the information ref to 5510 licensing (gives you the differences between K8 &K9) and Active/standby failover implementation requirements for ASA...

Cisco ASA 5510 Firewall Edition includes 5 Fast Ethernet interfaces, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, 3DES/AES license

ASA5510-BUN-K9

Cisco ASA 5510 Firewall Edition includes 5 Fast Ethernet interfaces, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, DES license

ASA5510-K8

Cisco ASA 5510 Security Plus Firewall Edition includes 2 Gigabit Ethernet + 3 Fast Ethernet interfaces, 250 IPsec VPN peers, 2 Premium VPN peers, Active/Standby high availability, 3DES/AES license

ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9

Licensing Requirements for Active/Standby Failover

The following table shows the licensing requirements for this feature:

Model

License Requirement

ASA 5505

Security Plus License. (Stateful failover is not supported).

ASA 5510

Security Plus License.

All other models

Base License.

Prerequisites for Active/Standby Failover

Active/Standby failover has the following prerequisites:

Both units must be identical security appliances that are connected to each other through a dedicated failover link and, optionally, a Stateful Failover link.

Both units must have the same software configuration and the proper license.

Both units must be in the same mode (single or multiple, transparent or routed).

Below are the  links for reference..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/product_data_sheet0900aecd802930c5.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/ha_active_standby.html

hth

MS

Thanks for that information, that helps out a lot. I'm still confused about the name. So If I buy a ASA5510-BUN-K9 can I convert it to a ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9. Its not a version of the hardware is it?

Sorry. I just seen that there is hardware difference between bun-k9 and sec-bun-k9. Another question I have is that if I purchase a ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9 does that automatically come with a security plus license. Is there a chance that a ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9 can come with a base license?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card