cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 - Memory : 1 Slot or 4 Slots?

patrick.roche
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way of ascertaining whether my 5510's have 1 memory slot or 4 memory slots without having to open the chassis?

I need to order the appropriate memory  upgradfe kits.

Thanks.                            

6 Replies 6

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Manufacturing may be able to tell us if the unit was shipped with 1 or 4 slots with the serial number.

CSCtd80603    DOC: Only One Memory Slot Should be Used on ASA 5510

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/guide/procs.html#wp1075832

For memory upgrade in the Cisco ASA 5510 with
four memory sockets, use slot 1 - P13 and note that only one slot must
be populated at all times. For optimum performance in the
Cisco ASA 5520 and the Cisco ASA 5540 , install the DIMMs in slots P13
and P15, if you are populating only two slots.

-KS

Thanks for this.

However, how do I refer this question to manufacturing? my customer has many of these devices located in remote COLO sites where physical access is not easy and would have to be done out of hours.

Patric,

With the 5510s it doesn't matter whether they have one or four you can only use the one slot.

If you still need to find out then I suggest opening a TAC case with all the ASA5510s serial numbers so we can engage manufacturing.

-KS

Hello - I just finished reading the rest of your reply and this answers my question.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Regards,

Pat

Surprised to learn that ASA5510 has only one memory slot (and even if its shows four, only one can be used ) ! and that it can take only 1GB max!

Just opened up a 5510 and confirmed that it has only one slot and that it takes only old DDR;s

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: