cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 switch failover license from old to the new device

skankang07
Level 1
Level 1

I used to have this situation where I need to replace faulty ASA5510 (this FW did not failover to standby FW) with the new one.

But the problem is the new ASA5510 came with Base License only not with Security Plus License which is needed to allow this brand new device to be configure failover.

So my question is how do I pull out Security Plus License from old FW and switch it to new FW (Base License) and activate to Security Plus License.

5 Replies 5

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

Hi Ptolemy,

You can transfer license from one devioce to another, they are Serial Number specific, although you can contact the Cisco Licensing Team to give you the same license as the old one for the RMA device, you need to e-mail the following details to licensing@cisco.com

RMA number

Old Serial Number

New Serial Number

Hope that helps

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Varun,

It's interesting question.

And what about I still want to use the "old" ASA, but without transfered licence.

Is it possible?

Thank you

Pavel

Rehosting activation keys is ONLY possible when an RMA is associated.  When an RMA is associated you most definitely have to ship the old unit back to Cisco.

If you still need to use the old one, then that unit is not defective so, there wouldnt' be an RMA and hence no activation key moving between serial numbers, which means you would have to purchase security plus license for the new unit.

-Kureli

skankang07
Level 1
Level 1

Varun,

Is there any tools I can use to convert this license rather than send an email to licensing team.

Ptolemy,

Unfortunately, the license are cannot be transfered, what Kureli told you is true, look at the following document:

The activation key is tied to the serial number of  the device. Feature licenses cannot be transferred between devices  (except in the case of a hardware failure). If you have to replace your  device due to a hardware failure, contact the Cisco Licensing Team to  have your existing license transferred to the new serial number. The  Cisco Licensing Team will ask for the Product Authorization Key  reference number and existing serial number.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/license/license82.html

If there was an RMA order done on the Unit, licensing will be able to move the license to the other device, as far as what you or TAC can do is very limited. This has to be done with licensing team.

Mike

Mike
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card