Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASA 5510 With Blinking Green Power Indicator Light

One of our clients has a ASA 5510 isn't booting up.  The power indicator light on the back is blinking green.  We have been all over cisco's site looking for an idea of the error, but no luck.

Any one have any insight?

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Just to be clear, the POWER LED is blinking green, it is not solid green?

What do you see on the STATUS LED?

Do you get any console output?

This might be a hardware failure and might need replacment.

The link below shows the meaning of each LED indicator.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/guide/overview.html

Hall of Fame Super Silver

That would usually be an indicator of hardware error.

You should cycle power and monitor the status on the console port while the devices attempts to boot for further confirmation. Most likely it will need to be replaced.

If you don't have hardware support, sometimes you can get by with reseating the memory DIMMs and internal compact flash card.

Zaid, Marvin, thank you for the replies.  More clarification:

The light that blinks green is on the power supply itself, located in the rear of the device,.  No lights turn on in the front at all.  It is light number 21 in Zaid's docment.  Nothing appears in the console during boot and power cycling does not change anything.  I am certain I need at least a new power supply, but i cannot find any cisco docmentation that confirms what a green blinking PSU light means on a 5510.  I would be more confident in my assessment if the power supply light was blinking amber or red, but it is blinking green once per second. 

I found some docmentation explaining my issue on a 5555-X with redundent power supplies invlolving active/standy configration, which does not apply to my 5510 because it is only capable of holding a single power supply.

Thanks again for your time.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

You're welcome.

I can't find a document that definitively says so but it certainly looks like a power supply operating abnormally (assuming you have checked the supply voltage at the outlet and verified that it meets the requires input).

I take it you don't have Smartnet support? If you do, TAC will likely just authorize an RMA for the entire unit in this condition.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content