Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512-x ordering

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

If i order 5512-x do i get asdm .bin file already on flash or do i need to upload it later via tftp. I prepared the boq via ccw but couldnt see asdm mentioned anywhere ??

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Murray Bown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jonn,

I have just taken delivery of one of these about 3 weeks ago and it came preloaded with the ASDM 6.6 image.

Murray

View solution in original post

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Every ASA should come with the ASA Software and ASDM Software.

The software levels with which the ASA is delived might vary depending on the age of the device I think.

I think there should even be the basic image files related to SSL VPNs also.

To get access to the latest softwares in the long run you should have a service contract so you get access to Cisco TAC, software updates, etc

- Jouni

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Murray Bown
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jonn,

I have just taken delivery of one of these about 3 weeks ago and it came preloaded with the ASDM 6.6 image.

Murray

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Every ASA should come with the ASA Software and ASDM Software.

The software levels with which the ASA is delived might vary depending on the age of the device I think.

I think there should even be the basic image files related to SSL VPNs also.

To get access to the latest softwares in the long run you should have a service contract so you get access to Cisco TAC, software updates, etc

- Jouni

Sir is any document that highlights this stuff ? i am trying to find cisco ass 5500-x ordering guides but couldnt find it.

Secondly Sir, in order to download ASDM, do we need to have service contract or simple CCO account is enough ?

Hi,

I am not sure if there is a document that says ASA comes with ASDM but I think its a given fact that there is always some version of the ASDM software of the ASA Flash memory when its shipped. If not I would imagine it would be a used device.

To download ASA software and ASDM software you need a service contract that is attached to the account at cisco.com.

- Jouni

Hi,

Here is a FAQ style Cisco document related to ASA5500-X Series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/qa_c67-700608.html

- Jouni

As noted already, every ASA sold through authorized channels will ship with ASA and ASDM binaries already included on the internal compact flash (disk0).

It is only necessary to download an new file from cisco.com if you wish to upgrade your ASDM (or if you inadvertently erase yours or it is destroyed due to hardware failure).

A download requires a service contract unless the loss was covered under the initial warranty. The other exception I can think of is when Cisco issues a security advisory (PSIRT) specific to the product. In those cases they sometimes make free downloads available if you are an affected customer.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card