Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Step-by-Step Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the NGFW, NGIPS and AMP Technologies A Visual Guide to the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)

ASA 5512x Hardware Reset?

Trying to setup a new ASA 5512 and like a dumbass I've somehow locked myself out.

Anyone know how to do a hardware reset?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Via power cycling. If you haven't done a "write mem" you'll be back where you started.

Otherwise see this procedure for password recovery - it should be good even for the newer hardware such as the 5512x.

5 REPLIES

Via power cycling. If you haven't done a "write mem" you'll be back where you started.

Otherwise see this procedure for password recovery - it should be good even for the newer hardware such as the 5512x.

Thanks for the quick response, but unfortunately after following the procedure it returns "Invalid password" at step 11.

Hmm. Just to confirm - you reloaded as specified in step 9 and after reload were presented with the default system prompt of:

hostname>

...? That should indicate you are now running with a default configuration.

I just doublechecked and ASA 8.6 (which the X series runs) still has a default blank enable password. Reference.

Not sure what I was doing wrong the first time, but as you suggested I retried the procedure and it worked first time.

Thanks

Phew. Glad I wasn't totally off base. Thanks for the rating!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content