cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5512X logging to either SSD Drive or USB

max-sandoval
Level 1
Level 1

I like to capture  the syslogs to either the option of installing a 100GB SSD drive, or USB, what would be the best route?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes-  if configured, you will still have the internal syslog. It is limited per the reference to a relatively small size.

If you're logging at anything higher that level 4 you will usually start wrapping the internal syslog buffer after a very short while so it is of limited utility. More for near-real-time troubleshooting than for foresnic analysis.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't believe either option is supported for ASA syslog messages.

The SSD drive is intended for exclusive use of the NGFW features. A device in the USB port is available for file transfers or as a potential storage location for boot, ASDM etc. as well as a means of transferring files onto the ASA.

The internal log buffer storage is in memory and, when you choose internal log, is not customizable - it goes to flash memory. Reference.

Hi Marvin, I was already thinking of sending the syslog over to an external server as an option, but if I was to do that, the internal syslog will remain in case of failure on the external ?

Yes-  if configured, you will still have the internal syslog. It is limited per the reference to a relatively small size.

If you're logging at anything higher that level 4 you will usually start wrapping the internal syslog buffer after a very short while so it is of limited utility. More for near-real-time troubleshooting than for foresnic analysis.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card