Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA 5515-X media-type sfp failing

Hi,

I am configuring a new ASA 5515 with this expansion module: ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A=
However, when i am trying to set media-type sfp under interface configuration it is failing with invalid detection...
Anybody seen this before?

ASA is running IOS asa861-2-smp-k8.bin and the ports are detected and can be configured, but not with media-type sfp.......

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

4GE-SSM adds 4 additional

4GE-SSM adds 4 additional ports to the ASA even though physically it has 8 ports in total. That is because each port has 2 different physical interfaces. Which is why you will need to specify the media-type in order to choose which media type you want to use, RJ45 or SFP port.

For the ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A, it only support SFP ports, no RJ45 ports. It gives you additional 6 SFP ports. If you want to have RJ45 ports then you need to use ASA-IC-6GE-CU-A module. 

5 REPLIES

Hi, Why would you need to

Hi,

Why would you need to specify media-type command? From what I know, that expansion module only supports SFP ports and doesn't have any BASE-T. The only time I need to use media type command is when I have a port that have two different physical interfaces e.g. ports on NPE-G1/2.

Hi, Sorry for the late

Hi,

Sorry for the late response.
This module can be used with optics and rj45 (rj45 as default). I have a 4GE-SSM module for ASA 5520/5510 and there you must set media-type if you want to use fiber instead of copper.
The docs for the ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A= module also specify media-type if you want to use fiber.

And, of course, the sfp are Cisco branded and supported.

4GE-SSM adds 4 additional

4GE-SSM adds 4 additional ports to the ASA even though physically it has 8 ports in total. That is because each port has 2 different physical interfaces. Which is why you will need to specify the media-type in order to choose which media type you want to use, RJ45 or SFP port.

For the ASA-IC-6GE-SFP-A, it only support SFP ports, no RJ45 ports. It gives you additional 6 SFP ports. If you want to have RJ45 ports then you need to use ASA-IC-6GE-CU-A module. 

Hi Rudy,Thanks, explains a

Hi Rudy,

Thanks, explains a lot:-)
Are going to set up a test today.

Sure, no problem. Let us know

Sure, no problem. Let us know the test result.

Remember to rate and choose a correct answer.

Views
Helpful
Replies