cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 - Need to allow out-of-state traffic

nms
Level 1
Level 1

I have a temporary situation where I need to allow traffic where both tx and rx do not take the same path.

Sometimes the originating traffic will go through the ASA, and sometime the return traffic will go through the ASA.

Please don't tell me that I need to create two-way rules! Please tell me that there is a magical one-liner or a checkbox somewhere to allow this.

2 Replies 2

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

To my knowledge, only in BGP you can set the rules in policy map for applying the rules for the it attributes. In pix other than access list to apply the rules in interface may end up with your solution.

Here's what it takes to allow out-of-state traffic (or asymmetrical routing as I've seen cisco refer to it as).

static (,) netmask norandomseq nailed

failover timeout -1

Example

static (server-net-a,server-net-b) 10.0.0.0 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 norandomseq nailed

static (server-net-b,server-net-a) 10.0.1.0 10.0.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 norandomseq nailed

failover timout -1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card