Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASA 5520 - what's using my memory?

Hello,

I have 2 ASA 5520's in active standby mode, they are on IOS 8.2(2) and have 512mb of memory.

For some reason the memory usage went from 70% to 85% at 4pm yesterday.  When I look back at the the changes at that time all I did was add a subnet to a rule.  I took the subnet back out of the rule today and the memory has remained the same.

Any ideas on when I can do please let me know.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ASA 5520 - what's using my memory?

It is an involved process to find out exactly what process is consuming the memory.

I'd suggest opening a TAC case so we can collect "sh mem detail" a few times in 3 hours or so and then sh mem binsize <> for the size that has consumed the most memory and then decode output value and match it to a process.

Do you have threat detection enabled? This is known to consume memory.  Issue "sh run threat". To disable it copy and paste the lines with a "no" in front of it.

Then watch the mem and see if it goes down.

-KS

Re: ASA 5520 - what's using my memory?

Hi,

The threat detection is already off.

I would like to try what you suggested but got a little lost, I have attached my 'sh mem detail', how do I do the binsize then match against a process?

Many thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies