cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5525x version 8.6(1)2 Cannot set Management 0/0 Interface IP Address to be the same network as the inside Interface.

hktotti228
Level 1
Level 1

Dear expert,

I have a pair ASA 5525x version 8.6(1)2 running in active / standby mode.

I was asked to enable the IPS Module.  

The scenario is as follows:

If you have only one inside network, then you cannot also have a separate management network. In this case, you can manage the ASA from the inside interface instead of the Management 0/0 interface. If you remove the ASA-configured name from the Management 0/0 interface, you can still configure the IPS IP address for that interface. Because the IPS module is essentially a separate device from the ASA, you can configure the IPS management address to be on the same network as the inside interface.

The above original document from cisco:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/quick_start/ips/ips_qsg.html

Now the problem is :
I cannot set Management 0/0 Interface IP Address to be the same network as the inside Interface.

When I tried to set the IP Address same as the network of INSIDE, an error message pops out in the command line

ERROR: Failed to apply IP Address to interface Management0/0, as the network overlaps with interface GigabitEthernet0/1. Two interfaces cannot be in the same subnet.

The setting of the INSIDE :

Interface Gigabitethernet0/1

nameif inside

security-level 100

ip address 10.38.0.1 255.255.255.0 standby 10.38.0.2

The setting of the management0/0

interface management0/0

no nameif

security-level 100

no ip address
managment-only

AllI want to set the management ip to be the same as the INSIDE and point its gateway to the inside ASA  interface IP,  so as to config the IPS Module.

Can anyone help me ?

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I personally have no expirience of the ASA IPS but with the ASA CX I think the Management0/0 interface actually holds 2 different IP addresses. One is the actual interface IP address that can be used to manage the ASA and the other one to manage the "module" which is not shown in the actual configuration but can be shown with "show" command son the ASA CLI

I think you might have to configure the IP address somewhere else than the actual physical Management0/0 interface. Probably through the CLI of the actual IPS.

Maybe this document might contain the information for you to configure the management IP address for the IPS

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ips/7-1/configuration/guide/cli/cliguide71/cli_logging_in.html

- Jouni

Jair Peng
Level 1
Level 1
Hi, You have try in CLI: conf t int m0/0 no nameif management ip address If fail, just try to the method of cisco. Below is official document information: ----- ASA 5512-X through ASA 5555-X (Software Module) These models run the IPS module as a software module, and the IPS management interface shares the Management 0/0 interface with the ASA. If you have an inside router If you have an inside router, you can route between the Management 0/0 network, which includes both the ASA and IPS management IP addresses, and the inside network. Be sure to also add a route on the ASA to reach the Management network through the inside router. If you do not have an inside router If you have only one inside network, then you cannot also have a separate management network. In this case, you can manage the ASA from the inside interface instead of the Management 0/0 interface. If you remove the ASA-configured name from the Management 0/0 interface, you can still configure the IPS IP address for that interface. Because the IPS module is essentially a separate device from the ASA, you can configure the IPS management address to be on the same network as the inside interface. Note You must remove the ASA-configured name for Management 0/0; if it is configured on the ASA, then the IPS address must be on the same network as the ASA, and that excludes any networks already configured on other ASA interfaces. If the name is not configured, then the IPS address can be on any network, for example, the ASA inside network. -----
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card