Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5585x and ASA 5555x Firewalls clusters with 6800 series

Wailess84
Level 1
Level 1

Dears 

actually i have made up of one design and i need you to support me in design validation. 

i have two Firewalls Cisco ASA 5585-x are DC firewalls are connected to Core Switch 6800 for Customer x

i have two Firewalls Cisco ASA 5585-x are DC firewalls are connected to Core Switch 6800 for Customer y

for Customer x and Customer y, there are shared services in between, and there are two firewalls ASA 5555-x with multi-context license 

=================

so my design is

since we have two ASA 5585 x firewalls as DC Firewall, i go for Cluster option connected to Cisco Core 6800 VSS

for shared firewall, ASA 5555x also will go cluster, plus configuring multi-contexts over cluster.. i will assign two contexts for both customers, plus i will make the link going to shared DMZ is sharing between the two context. 

please i need your feedback

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Easier to draw it but I will try. :)

In the system context you create subinterfaces on a physical port and allocate each to a context. So something like:

interface Gi1/1.1

nameif DMZ_A

interface Gi1/1.2

nameif DMZ_B

context customer_a

allocate-interface Gi1/1.1

context customer_b

allocate-interface Gi1/1.2

Once you have that setup (along with the other interfaces they might use and any other specifics such as resource allocation), move into each of the contexts and configure the interfaces. We assign a unique MAC address (examples shown here) to each so that the gateway's (or hosts') arp tables aren't ambiguous. i.e.:

..in context customer_a:

int DMZ_A

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

mac-address 000C.F142.4CDEB

..and in context customer_b:

int DMZ_B

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

mac-address 000C.F142.4CDB

Note if you want to add and 802.1q tag to the frames for a VLAN other that the native VLAN 1, add a "vlan <vlan_id>" command to each interface configuration.

Now setup your switch interface as a trunk, i.e.:

interface Gi1/1

switchport encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That design proposal looks pretty sound. Multiple links in a spanned Etherchannel to a VSS switch setup is a supported and recommended configuration that's called out in the Configuration Guide.

For the 5555-X multi-context setup, you'll want to use sub-interfaces to the shared DMZ so that you can allocate each context to a unique interface while sending them to the same logical subnet(s).

Mr Marvin 

thanks for your sharing knowledge.. but can you please explain me how to have subinterfaces to shared DMZ while still going to same logical subnet? if i have two subinterfaces means i will have two logical subnets? in addition the Shared DMZ only have L2 switch which doesn't have routing. can you please explain me more?

Easier to draw it but I will try. :)

In the system context you create subinterfaces on a physical port and allocate each to a context. So something like:

interface Gi1/1.1

nameif DMZ_A

interface Gi1/1.2

nameif DMZ_B

context customer_a

allocate-interface Gi1/1.1

context customer_b

allocate-interface Gi1/1.2

Once you have that setup (along with the other interfaces they might use and any other specifics such as resource allocation), move into each of the contexts and configure the interfaces. We assign a unique MAC address (examples shown here) to each so that the gateway's (or hosts') arp tables aren't ambiguous. i.e.:

..in context customer_a:

int DMZ_A

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

mac-address 000C.F142.4CDEB

..and in context customer_b:

int DMZ_B

ip address 10.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

mac-address 000C.F142.4CDB

Note if you want to add and 802.1q tag to the frames for a VLAN other that the native VLAN 1, add a "vlan <vlan_id>" command to each interface configuration.

Now setup your switch interface as a trunk, i.e.:

interface Gi1/1

switchport encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk 

Dear Marvin

Thanks a lot .. so we use MAC-Address as classifier for return traffic. 

You're welcome.

Making the MAC address locally assigned vs. using the burned in address makes things more interoperable and easier to troubleshoot.

It's not mandatory but is a recommended practice. With or without it, the network layer in each logical interface will still make the distinction whether or not to process a given frame.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card