cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 8.x in transparent mode with DMZ

glenn.newman
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to confirm that a DMZ cannot be used in transparent mode. I have a need to be in transparent mode, but also need a DMZ. Are there any workarounds?

My other choice is to NAT the servers in the DMZ to an address space that exists on the outside.

2 Replies 2

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You could have 2 contexts. Allocate 2 separate interfaces to context #1 (running on transparent mode) and the rest to context #2 (running on route mode). Of course there is some design involved but this is probably your way around it if applicable on your topology.

I hope it helps .. please rate helpful posts.

For the ASA firewall in multiple context mode, you can use only one firewall mode for all contexts, i.e, either transparent or routed mode.

Only starting from ASA/PIX 8.0(2), NAT/PAT is supported in the transparent firewall.

In FWSM, its possible to have mix of both transparent and routed mode firewall contexts on the same box.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card