Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Active/Standby Shared Security License

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i'm going to configure an ASA5525-X Active/Standby FW pair with multiple security context. my question is, do i need to install both FW with the same security license (i only got 1x 20-SC license) or just 1 SC license will do (on the active FW)?

will standby FW "inherit" the security context count when it failover? 

i saw this link and says 8.3+ no longer needs identical licenses but it's not clear and it doesn't explicitly says for my scenario for A/S FW with multiple security contexts.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/intro_license.html#wp1315746%0A

Failover License Requirements and Exceptions

Failover units do not require the same license on each unit.

Older versions of ASA software required that the licenses match on each unit. Starting with Version 8.3(1), you no longer need to install identical licenses. Typically, you buy a license only for the primary unit; for Active/Standby failover, the secondary unit inherits the primary license when it becomes active. If you have licenses on both units, they combine into a single running failover cluster license.

The exceptions to this rule include:

Security Plus license for the ASA 5505, 5510, and 5512-X—The Base license does not support failover, so you cannot enable failover on a standby unit that only has the Base license.

Encryption license—Both units must have the same encryption license.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Installing the licence on one of the units will work.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Installing the licence on one of the units will work.

thanks philip!

cisco guide are sometimes not clear or concise.

have u tried it personally? did standby FW took over the security context count (i.e become 20 contexts)?

Yes I have and it works fine.

hi philip,

hope you don't mind asking another question.

what's the difference between L-ASA-SC-20 vs ASA5500-SC-20?

is L-ASA-SC-20 meant for 5500-X and ASA5500-SC-20 for first-gen 5500?

i usually get L-ASA-SC-20 for ASA5525-X. i'm not sure why the vendor gave me ASA5500-SC-20 and not sure if it will work on a ASA5525-X

I'm not sure sorry.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card