Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASA Bandwidth Monitoring

Hi guys,

Is there any why to identify the source and destination of large traffic going across a Cisco ASA Version 8.0(4)

For example if we run a 5Mo to internet across the firewall, we can receive a log with the source and destination IP addresses information and the job they run as well (HTTP or ftp...)

i know we can do that using MPF, but that cause limiting the traffic and log the action. we dont like to do any action , just keep it more thatn 5 Mo and we see who is doing that .

Thanks

Everyone's tags (4)
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ASA Bandwidth Monitoring

Hello

I hope you are doing great, you can have the MPF option and when you do the action thing, you can put allow instead of putting a drop action. Another thing that you can do is to upgrade your device and use Netflow, that would give you more granular information and you can build reports based on traffic flow passing through the ASA.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike

Maykol,

Thanks for the information, but Netflow required buying a license and I don’t thank that s going to work for me.

Pkampana,

Thanks for that, I did use ASDM to see the Dashboard in top talkers section, but that not present exactly what I like to see, what we are looking for is some thing like (Source IP Address, Destination IP address, Job using) ??

Also, by any chance could you tell me if there is a way to send an email notification from the firewall if we get to the targeted bandwidth?

Thanks a lot

Cisco Employee

Hello,

No license is needed, and also there is some free servers that you can use.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6601/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805ff72b.html

Hope this helps

Mike

Mike
Cisco Employee

If you have threat detection enabled (it is by default) you can open ASDM and in the first tab it has a "top talkers" graph. That will show you people that see the most traffic. You can edit the graphic look and feel.

I hope it helps.

PK

Views
Helpful
Replies