cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA- Can I send differnet level log messages to two different sysl

mmertens
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA running 8.0(3). I have two syslog servers defined. Is there a way to send two different level messages to two different syslog servers? I see the "logging class"/"logging list" commands to alter differnet level messages to seperate output devices, a.k.a. TRAP; however, if I have two different host addresses (syslog servers) defined, can I send different levels to each, even though they are a subset of the same "output device"?

THANKS!

2 Replies 2

Hi Michael,

As far as I know, this cannot be done. According to the documentation for 'logging host':

"You can use multiple logging host commands to specify additional servers that would all receive the system log messages."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/l2.html#wp1751719

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for replying. I ended up allowing setting my trap level to the most common "severe" level- in this case "4" for warnings. Then I created a "logging list" to allow the specified informational level messages to also be included. (The only undesired affect is that I send both syslog servers see the specific informational messages). But this way they both see the messages they NEED to see without hammering them with tons of notification messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card