Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASA config - cannot ping through to the internet

I have been looking online and talking with TAC for a solution to this issue for the past couple of days.

I recently have been testing a new ASA 5510 as a replacement for my old PIX 506. The issue that I have is the following:

I have a 3560 switch which is connected to the ASA which is in turn connected to a pair of failover routers managed by my ISP. I am unfortunately unable to ping any public IP addresses from the 3560 on the inside interface of the ASA. I can ping the ASA from the 3560 however. I can also ping public IP addresses from the ASA and I can ping the 3560 from the ASA.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue, or what part of my config I should be checking to try and troubleshoot this.

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES

Re: ASA config - cannot ping through to the internet

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to post the config of the firewall ( after removing the sensitive details like public ip..etc..) and the 3560 switch for us to have a look?

-VJ

Sure, attached is the ASA config and the 3550 config. All secure information has been masked.

Thank you for your help.

Green

Isn't your acl "Inside_access_in" blocking it? You've only allowed tcp outbound. You can ping inside of asa from 3560 because of icmp permit any inside.

Thank you for pointing that out. I've now fixed that. Certainly this could have been causing the issue, but I won't be able to test it until Saturday.

Anyway, wouldn't this still have allowed http traffic through the firewall since http is a tcp protocol? I was not able to get to any websites either while I was testing.

Maybe there's still something I'm missing and from the looks of it I'm sure it's something really simple.

Green

Are you using external DNS servers?

That would require udp outbound as well.

No, I'm using internal. But this is making sense now as the internal servers are pointing outbound for referals and I couldn't do any dns lookups either.

Thank you for your help. I will test this on Saturday and let you know how it goes.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content