cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA CX failover

battanc
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Pair of ASA 5515-X in active/passive failover, each with CX module.

While the ASAs remain aligned to any changes in the configuration, it is not so for the CX module - that seems to be totally independent from each other and need to be configurate separately.

We spent a lot of time trying to solve this problem, but without finding the solution:

Is there a way to maintain the same configuration between the CXs, without using the Prism Security Manager? 
It is obvious that I can not propose to a customer who purchases a pair of ASAs, also to set up a virtual appliance and buy a license.

Best regards,

Claudio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PRSM in multi-device mode ("off-box") is the only way to maintain automatic synchronization between a pair of CX modules installed in an HA pair of ASAs.

Without that you have to make the same changes manually in each ASA's CX module via PRSM on-box (single device mode).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PRSM in multi-device mode ("off-box") is the only way to maintain automatic synchronization between a pair of CX modules installed in an HA pair of ASAs.

Without that you have to make the same changes manually in each ASA's CX module via PRSM on-box (single device mode).

Thanks for the answer.

I find this choice of Cisco really mad.
I understand that Cisco wants to "force" a customer to buy PRSM off-box, but the only result is that I can no longer propose a failover pair of ASA-CX to a Customer, because the total quote is out of market.

And then I will use products of other brands.

Best regards

I wouldn't be surprised to see this particular behavior change in future releases. Your complaint is shared by many customers and partners - both large and small.

Overall, the CX and PRSM feels a bit "rushed to market". Have a look at the release notes and the astonishing amount of bugs being addressed in the very small incremental point releases.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card