Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA FIREWALL DHCP CLIENT NOT AUTOMATICALLY RENEW IP ADDRESS

HI AIM USING ASA FIREWALL 8.4 IN GNS3 AND ROUTER AS WELLL .

ROUTER WORKING AS DHCP SERVER AND CLIENT IS ASA

HERE ASA FIREWALL NOT RENEW ITS IP UNTILL I USE THIS COMMAND INTERFACE E0 ,NO IP ADDRESS DCHP AND IP ADDRESS DHCP SETROUTE

PLZ HOW CAN ASA FIREWALL RENEW ITS IP WITHOUT MANUALLY RENEWING IP ADDRESS AND ANOTHER IS CAN I KNOW IN ASA FIREWALL DORA PROCESS.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Normally DHCP will not renew on the ASA unless the lease runs out, the ASA reloads, interface is shutdown and brought back up or, as you mentioned, remove the ip address command.  Another way to renew the IP on the ASA is to release the address from being assigned on the router...

clear ip dhcp binding <address>

To see the DORA process on the ASA you can do a debug dhcp

debug dhcpd event

or

debug dhcpd packet

You could also run a debug on the router / dhcp server to see what is happening there

debug ip dhcp server events

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Faiz,

You can give the sh ip address <interface> dhcp lease to know the dhcp lease and renew information..... by that interval it wioll get renewed.... but most of the times it will not be renewed with new ip address and it will have the same ip address until there is a outage with huge gap and the address is getting released to some other device.....

DORA process is same as the generic one.....

Regards

Karthik

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Normally DHCP will not renew on the ASA unless the lease runs out, the ASA reloads, interface is shutdown and brought back up or, as you mentioned, remove the ip address command.  Another way to renew the IP on the ASA is to release the address from being assigned on the router...

clear ip dhcp binding <address>

To see the DORA process on the ASA you can do a debug dhcp

debug dhcpd event

or

debug dhcpd packet

You could also run a debug on the router / dhcp server to see what is happening there

debug ip dhcp server events

--

--

nkarthikeyan and MariusGunnerud thank you very much giving me a valuble info.

i have configure clock setting in router(dhcp) and firewall to keep same clock 
and for testing purpose i change a lease on router like lease 0 0 1(one min)
then firewall taking a ip.

thank you very much

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Faiz,

You can give the sh ip address <interface> dhcp lease to know the dhcp lease and renew information..... by that interval it wioll get renewed.... but most of the times it will not be renewed with new ip address and it will have the same ip address until there is a outage with huge gap and the address is getting released to some other device.....

DORA process is same as the generic one.....

Regards

Karthik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: