Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASA GARP

Hi All,

Just wondering is any knows how to have an ASA process a GARP (gratuitous ARP)?

It appears that ASAs ignore them, therefore i have Linux HA that does not work beacuse the

ASA retains the original arp and ages out after four hours.

Thanks for your help

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful
  • Firewalling
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: ASA GARP

The ASA should honor the GARPs. In the arp debugs you will see something like

arp-in: updating gratuitous ARP 172.16.256.78 - xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

If the asa has an arp entry, and then sees a conflicting gratuitous arp reply with a different MAC for that same IP, we will replace the arp entry we have with the new entry. We will also log a syslog at level 4 stating that there was a collision. I would suggest you to check the asa syslogs and debugs to see if we see evidence of these collision syslogs.

I hope it helps.

PK

Cisco Employee

See if you have a static arp configured.

Check the ASA's talbe "sh arp | i aaa.bbb.ccc and see if the mac shows and if it appears correct.

Issue "sh run arp" to make sure you don't have any conflicting entries added statically.

-KS

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I am taking that is not working on second hand info.

I need to see this happening for myself, but at least i know that the ASAs accept GARPS.

I will update once i know more.

Regards

Stephen

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.