Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA HA design question

Michael Grann
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a question regarding ASA's in HA or failover setup.Topology is based on this design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Security/IE_DG.html#wp41976

Basically, ISP1 and ISP2 routers connect to outside SW1 and SW2 that are trunked. Both external switches have one connection each to the outside interface of ASA1 and ASA2 configured in Failover mode. So my question is, if the active firewall is ASA1 and it's directly connected external switch dies, what mechanism enables the ASA1 to automatically trigger a failover to SW2? My understanding with failover is only when the actual device no longer sends a heartbeat across the FO cable or if it dies. Will the ASA's have to run a dynamic routing protocol to be aware that L3 topology has changed?

Thanks.

MG

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

michaelgrann wrote:

Hello.

I have a question regarding ASA's in HA or failover setup.Topology is based on this design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Security/IE_DG.html#wp41976

Basically, ISP1 and ISP2 routers connect to outside SW1 and SW2 that are trunked. Both external switches have one connection each to the outside interface of ASA1 and ASA2 configured in Failover mode. So my question is, if the active firewall is ASA1 and it's directly connected external switch dies, what mechanism enables the ASA1 to automatically trigger a failover to SW2? My understanding with failover is only when the actual device no longer sends a heartbeat across the FO cable or if it dies. Will the ASA's have to run a dynamic routing protocol to be aware that L3 topology has changed?

Thanks.

MG

Michael

As long as you are monitoring the interface(s) that connect to the external switch then if the switch fails the standby ASA no longer gets a response from the monitored interface on the active ASA and will assume the active role. See this link for more details -

ASA interface monitoring

Jon

Jon,

Thank you so much for this link. I will be testing this in my lab.

MG

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card