Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA inter-vlan routing

Carlos Bergia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have this situation:

A client of mine has a switched network. On that network where no vlan is configured, he has multiple IP address on the same vlan (vlan 1). So, I´ve installed a 5505 with two vlans, and asigned each vlan to ethernet interfaces. I´ve made 2 connections, from switch to each ASA interface. The problem is when I execute show arp on the ASA, I receive the same entry on both interfaces.

I hope in first place that you understand my english, and in second place you can help me :-)

Best regards!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ARP table will be built based on the ASA seeing ARP broadcasts and replies. If the client has one VLAN (= one broadcast domain) then both interfaces will see all of that traffic and build identical ARP tables.

The correct way to change this would be to create a second VLAN for the second set of IP addresses and assign the appropriate interfaces (including the second ASA client-facing interface) to that VLAN.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ARP table will be built based on the ASA seeing ARP broadcasts and replies. If the client has one VLAN (= one broadcast domain) then both interfaces will see all of that traffic and build identical ARP tables.

The correct way to change this would be to create a second VLAN for the second set of IP addresses and assign the appropriate interfaces (including the second ASA client-facing interface) to that VLAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card