Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA longterm connections - how to find them

Pavel Pokorny
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Accidentaly I have discovered, that idle timeout on ASA not always works as I expected.

Can somebody explain me, why I can see something like this (addresses changed, but time info remained)?

UDP outside:192.168.1.1/43501 inside:192.168.0.102/16327,

flags -, idle 8D14h, uptime 257D3h, timeout 2m0s, bytes 19

I always thought, that after idle timer reaches timeout, then connections is cleared.

I can find this behaviour on 8.4.3 and 8.4.6 (other realeases not tested).

Do you have any command to list such connections? I mean where idle is greater than something (i.e.

sh local-host connection udp 500 - lists all hosts with more than 500 UDP connections).

Thank you very much.

Pavel

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

We have an ASA running 8.4(6) that I just noticed had a few connections that have been idle for 16 days straight. This seems to be only for the UDP Connections that I have seen so far in the firewall that I am looking at

Here partial output from one connection

flags -, idle 13D7h, uptime 13D7h, timeout 2m0s, bytes 19

So pretty much same as yours.

I would have to say that this is some bug.

I could not find any matching bug yet but there has been a couple of discussion where the situation has been the same but there has been no updates on those discussion.

I am not really sure if the ASA has any options to look for connections based on their idle/uptime timers.

I guess you would have to resort to somekind of combination of "show" command and the user of regex.

- Jouni

Hi,

I think it's bug also.

I also do sometning like this : sh conn all | ex idle [0]:

BUT, when I find such a connection a have to delete it manualy one by one, which is annoying. I was wondering if someone knows ie undocumented command for such a purpose (delete all connection idle then).

Anyway thank for response.

Pavel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card