Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA - LU Allocate Failed Messages

conversyschris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently did a quick check on one of the daily logs on my ASA 5520, and I noticed that fairly often I am getting an "LU allocate connection failed". I obviously checked the error message on the site and it says "Stateful Failover cannot allocate a new connection on the Standby unit. This may be caused by little or no RAM memory available within the PIX Firewall.

Recommended Action Check the available memory using the show mem command to make sure the PIX Firewall has free memory in the system. If there is no available memory, add more physical memory to the PIX Firewall."

A little background info, I have 2 ASAs in an Active/Standby setup, the active Unit's log is giving the LU allocate failed messages.

Anyone have any suggestions? I did a "show mem" on my active unit and it was fine, not even using 25%... could it be the Standby Unit is having issues?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

7 Replies 7

jean.l.pierre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

Software versions, please!

Regards,

JP

Result of the command: "show ver"

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.0(6)

Device Manager Version 5.0(6)

Compiled on Tue 22-Aug-06 13:22 by builders

System image file is "disk0:/asa706-k8.bin"

Config file at boot was "startup-config"

ConversysASA1 up 140 days 21 hours

failover cluster up 140 days 21 hours

Hardware: ASA5520, 512 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 Celeron 2000 MHz

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 64MB

BIOS Flash AT49LW080 @ 0xffe00000, 1024KB

This platform has a Base license.

Here is my show ver, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks JP,

Chris

bump - sorry to bump this up the list, but if anyone knows whats going on, I would appreciate some advice. I logged into the standby unit yesterday (through asdm) and check the live log, I saw plenty of the same LU Allocation Failed messages over and over. I also did a memory check on the unit, and it was only using 20%.

Thanks,

Chris

serotonin888
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Chris,

I have the same thing on a pair of asa5520's. Lots of LU allocate connection failed messages on the standby.

Configured in Active\Standby running 7.2(2).

I only noticed the errors by chance so im not sure how long they have been there.

Memoey also looks ok with 80% free.

Did you ever find a solution or identify the cause?

Cheers

Andy

I too see these errors but have not found a cause. Perhaps keeping this thread alive will help.

hhth12345
Level 1
Level 1

I too have the same problem on PIX 515E's 7.2(2)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card