Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA/PIX IP SLA Tracked Interface Failover Threshold

technotony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

With regards to the following example provided by Cisco I would like to know exactly when the failover would occur. Does the failover kick in when one/two packets are lost or all three? I would hope all three.

If I were to change the number of packets to 100 and lost 50% for example this would show the link to be failing but would the ASA actually failover to the backup DSL?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

I'd like to implement this setup in a real world scenario but the internet connection can be tempremental at times (yes I have complained to my ISP in Johannesburg but what is acceptable to me is on a different level to them!) so I want to avoid the failover flapping between each internet link.

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

The ASA's SLA tracking configuration is not quite granular enough to do what you're describing. If the ASA receives a reply for any request within the configured timeout, the ASA will consider the primary link up.

In the example you linked to, the ASA will send 3 requests every 10 seconds. If the ASA receives a reply to any of those 3 packets with a response time that is under 5000 milliseconds (the default timeout for SLA monitoring), the primary link will remain up. Unfortunately, the ASA does not allow you to base the up/down decision on the percentage of packets lost.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

The ASA's SLA tracking configuration is not quite granular enough to do what you're describing. If the ASA receives a reply for any request within the configured timeout, the ASA will consider the primary link up.

In the example you linked to, the ASA will send 3 requests every 10 seconds. If the ASA receives a reply to any of those 3 packets with a response time that is under 5000 milliseconds (the default timeout for SLA monitoring), the primary link will remain up. Unfortunately, the ASA does not allow you to base the up/down decision on the percentage of packets lost.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, that asnwers my question.

Regards,

Tony

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card