Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA/PIX IP SLA Tracked Interface Failover Threshold

technotony
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

With regards to the following example provided by Cisco I would like to know exactly when the failover would occur. Does the failover kick in when one/two packets are lost or all three? I would hope all three.

If I were to change the number of packets to 100 and lost 50% for example this would show the link to be failing but would the ASA actually failover to the backup DSL?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

I'd like to implement this setup in a real world scenario but the internet connection can be tempremental at times (yes I have complained to my ISP in Johannesburg but what is acceptable to me is on a different level to them!) so I want to avoid the failover flapping between each internet link.

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

The ASA's SLA tracking configuration is not quite granular enough to do what you're describing. If the ASA receives a reply for any request within the configured timeout, the ASA will consider the primary link up.

In the example you linked to, the ASA will send 3 requests every 10 seconds. If the ASA receives a reply to any of those 3 packets with a response time that is under 5000 milliseconds (the default timeout for SLA monitoring), the primary link will remain up. Unfortunately, the ASA does not allow you to base the up/down decision on the percentage of packets lost.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tony,

The ASA's SLA tracking configuration is not quite granular enough to do what you're describing. If the ASA receives a reply for any request within the configured timeout, the ASA will consider the primary link up.

In the example you linked to, the ASA will send 3 requests every 10 seconds. If the ASA receives a reply to any of those 3 packets with a response time that is under 5000 milliseconds (the default timeout for SLA monitoring), the primary link will remain up. Unfortunately, the ASA does not allow you to base the up/down decision on the percentage of packets lost.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, that asnwers my question.

Regards,

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card