Helpful
Replies

ASA: redundant interface

mlopacinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Cisco documentation is unclear:

if i have two members in redundant interface both connected to the same switch/vlan, on switch both ports are UP (no shut),

what is a state of physical interfaces on ASA ?

Are both ports UP ? Or ASA shutdown one of the interfaces ? (backup interface)

If both ports are physically UP what traffic is send thru backup interface ?

In case of both ports UP how does the switch know which port is actually working (in case of initiation new flow from switch side, with new/uknown destination mac-address) ?

Thanx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Both Interfaces will have the same mac-address but only one will actually pass traffic, so at some point, I think you would be able to see 2 mac-addresses learned on two different ports, hence, the traffic is going to be sent by the switch to both interfaces, of course, only one will actually process the traffic on the ASA.

Mike

Mike

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Both Interfaces will have the same mac-address but only one will actually pass traffic, so at some point, I think you would be able to see 2 mac-addresses learned on two different ports, hence, the traffic is going to be sent by the switch to both interfaces, of course, only one will actually process the traffic on the ASA.

Mike

Mike
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card