cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA software upgrade failed

oldcreek12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my current ASA was running 7.2(3), I scheduled a reload to upgrade to 8.0(4) after midnight yesterday, still the running version shows it is running 7.2(3). What went wrong?

Here is the current running:

ASA5520# sh run boot

boot system disk0:/asa804-k8.bin

boot config disk0:/startup

ASA5520# sh startup-config | inc boot

boot system disk0:/asa804-k8.bin

boot config disk0:/startup

ASA5520# sh ver

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)

Device Manager Version 5.2(3)

Compiled on Wed 15-Aug-07 16:08 by builders

System image file is "disk0:/asa723-k8.bin"

Config file at boot was "disk0:/startup"

ASA5520 up 5 hours 56 mins

3 Replies 3

Hi Jian,

Were there any messages printed during the reload? Specifically, watch for any messages during the time when the firewall is trying to load the 8.0(4) image. Those should give you a good place to start in troubleshooting this issue.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Unfortunately, console logging was turned off, and the reload was a scheduled one with "reload at <>".

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much help we will be able to provide then.

I would recommend checking the output of dir disk0: just to make sure that when you copied the image it saved successfully (and that it is named asa804-k8.bin). Other than that, your boot statement looks correct and it should simply be a matter of reloading the firewall to run the new code.

If the image is actually present on disk0 and named correctly, my best guess would be that the image is somehow corrupt and it could not be loaded when the firewall was booting. In that case, I would recommend simply downloading the image from cisco.com and loading it onto disk0: one more time.

-Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card