Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA supports G.711 codec ?

vinayak2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are going to implement LYNC 2013 with Enterprise voice solution in our organization. we will be using SIP trunk by provider who are using G.711 codec for Voice packet.

The question is dose Cisco ASA supports G.711 codec ? will asa blocks G.711 codec voice packets ?

We are using ASA 5540 running Cisco IOS 8.3 .

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The ASA doesn't care about your codecs. The communication is done via UDP/(RTP), thats all the ASA sees. But based on your setup, the ASA probably needs to understand the SIP-communication to your provider. I would test that first as I had very often problems with SIP-inspection.

And I wouldn't run version 8.3. In my opinion that was one of the worst releases that were available for the ASA.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

The ASA doesn't care about your codecs. The communication is done via UDP/(RTP), thats all the ASA sees. But based on your setup, the ASA probably needs to understand the SIP-communication to your provider. I would test that first as I had very often problems with SIP-inspection.

And I wouldn't run version 8.3. In my opinion that was one of the worst releases that were available for the ASA.

Hi Karsten Iwen,

Thanks for your reply.

If we disable the SIP inspection, then there will not be any issue. correct ?

we are going to upgrade ASA next week most probably to 8.4

If we disable the SIP inspection, then there will not be any issue. correct ?

You won't have any issues with the SIP-inspection, but without this inspection you have to manually open all needed ports to you voice-provider.

O.K.

What all ports we need to open for Voice-provider ? or this information will be given by Provider itself ?

The provider should provide you with a range of ports.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card