cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa translation

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

i have come across statements which involve communication issues passing via ASA/PIX being resolved after translation was cleared.

same has been read for some routers also. I have an understanding that translations are usually cleared before we do a nat/pat related change.

Can techies having encountered this sort of problems or knowing the logic behind , clear this aspect for me.

TIA.

4 Replies 4

apothula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Thomas,

The xlates are cleared only after they time out not after a NAT/PAT change has been made.

You can check the timeout period in the configuration on the ASA.

Cheers,

Nash.

Thanks, cases referred are certain situations when the translations were manually cleared which led to resolution of issue.

Unfortunately, i cant details on those case history.

was these kind of things being faced by anyone else and what is the logic behind such an action.

TIA

Hi,

Based on your description, i understand you had issues with passing traffic thorugh your firewall/router and clearing translations resolved the issue. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Now, there could be countless reasons for such a thing happening but if you could give us a slight idea as to what traffic was not being passed through the firewall, an associated topology and any error messages (if collected), we could come up with a few reasons for the problem.

Cheers,

Prapanch

Yes, those were involving passing traffic through the appliance. However , i havent faced those situations so far myself and these were heard from remarks by other folks. The unfortunate part is folks who told me this stuff, themselves dont know the issue as they werent involved directly in troubleshooting.

It seems people involved didnt pass the knowledge for distribution.I was trying to find any issues come across by techies here or any known cases.

Apart from clearing the translation manually , when changing nat configurations. What other situation laments that we clear the translation manually..

TIA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card