Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA - unable to boot -- need urgent help

sarat1317
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have erased the startup config and reloaded ASA 5510. Now its not able to boot preoperly

Launching BootLoader...

Default configuration file contains 1 entry.

Searching / for images to boot.

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

unable to boot an image

It seems the image file is not found. I cant use dir command on rommon mode to check if the image is on there.

can someone please advise on this ASAP? And if I want to upload the image, do I require additional access to download the image?

thanks

sarat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Try to upload the ASA image again after it boots and check if disk0 has anything.

Let me know what happens,

Regards,

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Below you can find a link to upload new image. You need the ASA image and TFTP server.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a00804708d8.shtml

Once you upgrade reload and let me know if everything works fine,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Hi

Thanks very much for the reply. I dont have permissions to download the image. Is there anyway I can download it?

Thank you

If you have a smartnet contract you can contact the vendor who sold you the ASA and ask for the image. This image is available to resellers and those who has CCO accounts with smartnet contracts. Smartnet contract is support contract that allows you to download latest versions of software and get support from Cisco when needed for hardware and software problems.

Let me know if you need anything further,

Thanks for the rate,

Regards,

Hi

The document mentions about the monitor mode, is it the same as rommon mode?

I gave an IP to e0/1 interface on ASA connected to my workstation which acting as tftp server with another ip. And GW is assigned on ASA. However I cant ping the my workstation from ASA unit.

Am I doing something wrong in here.

Thanks

Sarat

Hello,

Yes it is the same as rommon. Make sure that your laptop is connected to the right interface. Another note is to connect your latop to the interface before you configure TFTP.

Therefore, I prefer if you reload your ASA while your laptop is connected then start the tftp configuration.

Let me know if this solves your problem,

Regards,

Hi

No luck on this. Does xmodem works on ASA? If so, can you please send me a link for the procedure.

Thanks

I think this is working now..I have to reload and see

Hello Sarat,

When you wanmtr to erase the configuration on in NVRAM you just issue the command "write erase". This will erase the startup config.

To see what is on the asa disk0 you issue the command "dir" only.

I feel that your config is pointing the ASA to boot from a wrong location. I suggest you do the below steps:

1- Upload again the ASA Image

1.5- issue the command "dir" to make sure the image is present

2- erase the start-up config using the command "write erase"

3- reload and make sure that the ASA boots normally

If it boots normally then check you configuration for any line that start with "boot system " If you have this line just remove it from the configuration because it seems it is pointing the ASA to boot from invalid location.

THen paste the configuration and reload.

Let me know how it goes,

Regards,

Hi

Thanks for that. I know this is going to be simple but I am missing something.

When I upgrade the image and it boots to the config, however I see in show version as System image file is "tftp://10.10.30.13/asa702-k8.bin"

As I know I have to say copy tftp flash after the upgrade, when I mention

Address or name of remote host [10.10.30.13]? 10.10.30.13

Source filename [asa702-k8.bin]? asa702-k8.bin

Destination filename [asa702-k8.bin]?

Accessing tftp://10.10.30.13/asa702-k8.bin...

%Error opening tftp://10.10.30.13/asa702-k8.bin (No such device)

My image file is on c:/tftp-root folder on 10.10.30.13. I also tried giving the path to tftp-root, but still same issue

pl advise

thanks

sarat

Can you try this please.

When you upload the Image choose destination file name as: disk0:/asa702-k8.bin

Also, after the ASA boots:

conf t

boot system disk0:/asa702-k8.bin

Let me know if this solves the problem,

I suspecting your disk0 is not working. Try "dir" after you upload your image to see if the disk0 is reading correctly.

hi

ciscoasa# copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host

Source filename [asa702-k8.bin]?

Destination filename [asa702-k8.bin]? disk0:/asa702-k8.bin

ciscoasa# dir

Directory of disk0:/

No files in directory

62881792 bytes total (62853120 bytes free)

There are no files in any directories which may be obvious as copy tftp flash didnt work.

Interesting thing is I cant ping my tftp server now though its available and connected. I just no shut the interface and the interface is up now which tells me the server is still connected. however I cant ping it.

any clues

Looks like its working now. I can tftp now, and checking if that completes! will update shortly

Try to upload the ASA image again after it boots and check if disk0 has anything.

Let me know what happens,

Regards,

YES, finally its working now. Few things I did to get this sorted. Initially after the upgrade, I was unable to ping tftp server, did no shut on the port and no luck. I had to configure an ip address on 1 interface and create a default route to server GW. then I was able to ping the server and then copy the flash. I configured the boot variable and saved. Finally resolved.

Have you worked on vpn on ASA, if so can you please take a look at link below. I have the final testing tomorrow. Your help will be appreciated.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Security&topic=Firewalling&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd112c

Thanks for all your help & time

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card