Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Upgrade advice

raza555
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

we have large amount of ASA on version 8.4 and some on version 7.2. Most devices are 5510, 5520, 5540.

Please advice do we really need to upgrade to version 9 or if we make 8.4(2) as our standard, it will be fit for the purpose.

What are the convincing feature/s that motivates us to upgrade to verison 9.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Unless you need a certain functionality that is provided in 9.x then there is no real need to upgrade to that version.  But if you do upgrade to that version you are guarnteed a longer support lifetime, with regards to the EOL / EOS of the software. 

All your ASA appliances will be end of support in 2018, and if memory serves me correct the 7.2 software is EOS either this year or next year.  So all ASAs running the 7.2 should be upgraded if you want to continue to recieve support from Cisco on them, and you should start planning to upgrade all your ASAs to the new 5500-X series by 2018.  Again this is if you want to continue to recieve support from Cisco.  If not then you don't have to do anything.

version 8.1 is at EOS in 2016 so I am sure that 8.4 will be ok for some time to come.  So as I mentioned earlier, unless there is a specific functionality that you need to use in 9.x then there is no need to upgrade the software past 8.4....yet

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Unless you need a certain functionality that is provided in 9.x then there is no real need to upgrade to that version.  But if you do upgrade to that version you are guarnteed a longer support lifetime, with regards to the EOL / EOS of the software. 

All your ASA appliances will be end of support in 2018, and if memory serves me correct the 7.2 software is EOS either this year or next year.  So all ASAs running the 7.2 should be upgraded if you want to continue to recieve support from Cisco on them, and you should start planning to upgrade all your ASAs to the new 5500-X series by 2018.  Again this is if you want to continue to recieve support from Cisco.  If not then you don't have to do anything.

version 8.1 is at EOS in 2016 so I am sure that 8.4 will be ok for some time to come.  So as I mentioned earlier, unless there is a specific functionality that you need to use in 9.x then there is no need to upgrade the software past 8.4....yet

--
Please remember to rate and select a correct answer

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card