Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Upgrading

Ahmed Eiran
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

i have one ASA running version (8.2) and another one running version (8.4).. i want to replace them with each other.. my question is: if i backup the configuration from (8.2) and upload it to (8.4), will this ASA (8.4) accept this configuration or should i migrate this configuration to the new version first? note that i want to keep the ASA (8.2) as it is to maintain a rollback plan.

Appreciate your Support Guys.

3 Replies 3

Mohammad Alhyari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ahmad ,

in case you put the 8.2 config on the ASA running 8.4 directly , that will not work as it will refuse most of the commands ( NAT + Anyconnect ) due to the changes that have been added to 8.4.

if you load IOS 8.2 on the ASA and then the 8.2 config and upgrade the ASA to 8.4 then it will auto migrate the config directly .

if you want to have 8.2 then you can do that , just keep the image on the flash and also a backup config file for the 8.2 config and then use the downgrade command :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa84/command/reference/d2.html#wp2002627

hope that this helps .

Mohammad.

Thx Mohammed,

Appreciate it.. that was really informative.

Hi Ahmad ,

you are more than welcome .

please remember to rate helpful posts .

thanks .

Mohammad.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card