Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA5500 setup/cabling & failover questions

Hello all,

I've just started configuring 2x new ASA5520's. They will be either in active/active, or active/passive failover. I'd like to have stateful failover.

A couple of questions:

What is the "management" interface for (other than the potential obvious) - i know traffic can't flow into that interface and out another interface, so is it ONLY meant for managing/configuring the units?

I know that i need a dedicated network between the 2 ASA's for the failover. Can i use the above mentioned management interface for this, rather than one of the Gigabit interfaces?

Both devices have the AIP-SSM-10 module which ALSO has an interface on it. Is this just for administaring the module?

Also, anyone who has a similar setup to me, tips, experiences and pointers gladly accepted.

Setup is pretty simple:

Redundant Ethernet internet connections coming through 2x 2801's

Web,mail, app servers & 2811's providing VPN connections in DMZ

Users behind ASA's

Software VPN's will be done directly to ASA's using IPSEC VPN Client - may look at ssl in future.

Migrating from single Pix 6.1

Cheers

2 REPLIES

Re: ASA5500 setup/cabling & failover questions

Yes, you can use the management interface for failover.

Re: ASA5500 setup/cabling & failover questions

mgmt can be used for failover but it is only 10/100.

mgmt interface has been designed to connect a PC to the management interface for administration ( Cisco design )

if you have huge traffic, then use the 3rd interface for failover since it will be stateful, so speed & bandwidth will be crucial. Connect both the ASA Gigabit directly with a straight cable for failover.

AIP-SSM-10 module interface is only for administration,

actual setup & admin can be done by connecting to the IP either by session 1 fromm the ASA or via the ASDM by

https:\\IP of the IPS console

The config is very similar to PIX, in fact the ACLS can be pasted directly.

The ASA will have 1 active & 1 standby

the active ASA will have the active IP & replicate the config to the standby.

HTH - pls rate if helpful

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content