Replies

ASA5505 - Can't Access Configuration Tab on ASDM

srose
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought an ASA5505 with the base license running the following:

asa803-k8

asdm-611

I'm very new to the ASA's and Security in general so bare with me. I'm able to successfully launch the ASDM client and login, but I'm restricted from accessing the configuration tab and I'm not having any luck finding any documentation on the net on how to enable it.

When I click on the configuration tab I get a pop up error - "You are authorized to access only home and monitoring views".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

5 Replies 5

Todd Pula
Level 7
Level 7

By default, all commands on the ASA have a privilege level of 0 or 15. If you have command authorization enabled, you have the option to manually assign privilege levels to commands or you can have the ASDM assign commands to the following three groups: level 15 (Admin), level 5 (Read Only), and level 3 (Monitor Only). Depending on how you configured this, you will want to make sure that the user account you are trying to use for administration has the appropriate privilege level configured.

Any tips on the actualy syntax needing to configure my username with privilege level 15 so I can get out of monitor mode?

If you are using the local user database on the ASA, you can issue the following for the user account in question.

username cisco password cisco privilege 15

Thank you topula, this fixed my issue!

Glad to hear it. At your convenience, please rate this post so that others can refer to the solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: