cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 MAC Address

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Weird question but does anyone know if the MAC addresses on an ASA5505 is on the label on the box anywhere?  I am pretty sure the serial number is there.  I have an ISP that needs the MAC address and the device has already been shipped to non-techies.   

All replies rated.  Thanks in advance              

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have a couple of ASA5505 units at home and they dont have any information of the MAC address and to be honest I am not sure if the MAC address can always be the same. The MAC address visible to the ISP will be the MAC address of the Vlan interface that is facing the ISP.

I would imagine that the ISP can see the MAC address of the unit when they have connected it to the local WAN connection even if it doesnt get an address.

You might also be able to connect to some network device that acts as a DHCP server and remotely check the DHCP server so you can find out the MAC address of the ASA unit.

- Jouni

Thanks for the response.  I meant the box that teh ASA comes in and not the unit itself.  The ISP can indeed see the MAC address but want me to verify what they see before they activate the modem.

Hi,

To my knowledge no. The stickers on the box usually tells the product and serial number of the device.

You'll need to ask a tech guy to console and do a 'show version' command to get the MAC addresses.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

I guess there is no "easy" way to get the MAC address then other than to have the people that got the device console into the device as John said. That is if they have a laptop with the proper port. Then they can just get Putty for example and console into the ASA. Should not really be hard for anyone.

Seems to me that my ASA for example uses the Internet-Data0/0 interfaces MAC address for all the Vlan interfaces and this will be the MAC address which shows to the ISP if it for example wants to bind your ASA MAC address to a IP address that the DHCP server will always allocate to this device only.

Some output from my ASA5505 for example (partial outputs)

ASA# sh ver

0: Int: Internal-Data0/0    : address is 0025.45f4.0aa2, irq 11

ASA# sh interface Vlan 10 | inc MAC

MAC address 0025.45f4.0aa2, MTU 1500

ASA# sh interface Vlan 1 | inc MAC

ASA# sh interface Vlan 20 | inc MAC

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card