Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Step-by-Step Configuration and Troubleshooting Best Practices for the NGFW, NGIPS and AMP Technologies A Visual Guide to the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD)

ASA5505 setting domain

I have a simple question relating to setting the domain name on an ASA5505 on initial setup.......is this the same as the existing network/server domain?

Thank you

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: ASA5505 setting domain

Generally speaking it's set to the external DNS domain you use - that may differ from your internal DNS domain. For instance, I have seen many customers use an internal domain name my mycompany.local and a public one like mycompany.com.

The primary use of the domain name is when creating a self-signed certificate for remote access. The documentation says it also uses it as a suffix for otherwise unqualified names but I seldom see those used.

hi steven,

you configure a domain name (in addition to hostname) on an ASA to complete its FQDN.

it's an optional field but necesary when using X.509 certificates which can be used for HTTPS, SSL VPN and IPsec VPN.

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Generally speaking it's set to the external DNS domain you use - that may differ from your internal DNS domain. For instance, I have seen many customers use an internal domain name my mycompany.local and a public one like mycompany.com.

The primary use of the domain name is when creating a self-signed certificate for remote access. The documentation says it also uses it as a suffix for otherwise unqualified names but I seldom see those used.

hi steven,

you configure a domain name (in addition to hostname) on an ASA to complete its FQDN.

it's an optional field but necesary when using X.509 certificates which can be used for HTTPS, SSL VPN and IPsec VPN.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content