cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 setting domain

Steven Couture
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple question relating to setting the domain name on an ASA5505 on initial setup.......is this the same as the existing network/server domain?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally speaking it's set to the external DNS domain you use - that may differ from your internal DNS domain. For instance, I have seen many customers use an internal domain name my mycompany.local and a public one like mycompany.com.

The primary use of the domain name is when creating a self-signed certificate for remote access. The documentation says it also uses it as a suffix for otherwise unqualified names but I seldom see those used.

View solution in original post

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi steven,

you configure a domain name (in addition to hostname) on an ASA to complete its FQDN.

it's an optional field but necesary when using X.509 certificates which can be used for HTTPS, SSL VPN and IPsec VPN.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Generally speaking it's set to the external DNS domain you use - that may differ from your internal DNS domain. For instance, I have seen many customers use an internal domain name my mycompany.local and a public one like mycompany.com.

The primary use of the domain name is when creating a self-signed certificate for remote access. The documentation says it also uses it as a suffix for otherwise unqualified names but I seldom see those used.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi steven,

you configure a domain name (in addition to hostname) on an ASA to complete its FQDN.

it's an optional field but necesary when using X.509 certificates which can be used for HTTPS, SSL VPN and IPsec VPN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: