Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ASA5510 7.0(5) asa705-k8.bin asa803-k8.bin

Hi

I am pretty new to ASA. I have an ASA5510 running version 7.0(5) and another ASA5510 running version 8.0(3) at another site.

I am looking at upgrading them. On the Cisco download page there are 3 suggested ASA images to run.

9.0.3.ED 

So which one is best? With 8.2.5. ED  I am guessing I don't need to do the memory upgrade. (Yes, both are 256mb)

I have come across various suggested upgrade paths in these support pages, but my question really is which should I use?
As it stands nothing is broken and there is no requirement for any new features.

Many Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Green

So which one is best? With 8

So which one is best? With 8.2.5. ED  I am guessing I don't need to do the memory upgrade. (Yes, both are 256mb)

If you upgrade to 8.4.7 or 9.0.3 you will need to upgrade your memory to 2GB.  But other than that, 8.2 is out of the question as it is now End of Life and will in 2019 be end of support. so that leaves 8.4.7 and 9.0.3.  Of these two I would suggest going for 9.0.3.

I have come across various suggested upgrade paths in these support pages, but my question really is which should I use?

The upgrade path depends on your requirements really.  You can go directly to the new version but then you will have to manually update the configuration (NAT and ACL being the big changes).  If you want to have an automatic configuration update then you would need to follow the upgrade path provided in the release notes for the version you are upgrading to.

Given that you don't require any new features there is no real need to upgrade other than the fact that 8.2 is end of life and you want to make sure you don't forget about the end of support in 2019.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

Please remember to rate and select a correct answer
1 REPLY
VIP Green

So which one is best? With 8

If you upgrade to 8.4.7 or 9.0.3 you will need to upgrade your memory to 2GB.  But other than that, 8.2 is out of the question as it is now End of Life and will in 2019 be end of support. so that leaves 8.4.7 and 9.0.3.  Of these two I would suggest going for 9.0.3.

The upgrade path depends on your requirements really.  You can go directly to the new version but then you will have to manually update the configuration (NAT and ACL being the big changes).  If you want to have an automatic configuration update then you would need to follow the upgrade path provided in the release notes for the version you are upgrading to.

Given that you don't require any new features there is no real need to upgrade other than the fact that 8.2 is end of life and you want to make sure you don't forget about the end of support in 2019.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

Please remember to rate and select a correct answer
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content