Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 memory upgrade

Hi to all,

maybe my question will be a dumb question, but somebody knows when I do a memory upgrade to an ASA 5510, I must do something more??? Or the ASA should to recognize the new amount of memory?? I should not do any firmware update....

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

David.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There should be nothing else related to the memory upgrade other than physically installing the actual memory stick. Though typically the main reason to upgrade memory on an ASA firewall is usually because you are wanting to move to a more recent software version which has higher RAM requirements.

Here is a link to the Cisco document related to hardware installations

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/guide/asa_hw/procs.html#pgfId-1078210

- Jouni

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There should be nothing else related to the memory upgrade other than physically installing the actual memory stick. Though typically the main reason to upgrade memory on an ASA firewall is usually because you are wanting to move to a more recent software version which has higher RAM requirements.

Here is a link to the Cisco document related to hardware installations

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/hw/maintenance/guide/asa_hw/procs.html#pgfId-1078210

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

this it was I was thinking..... We want to do a software upgrade and we need to do this memory upgrade, but when I do the memory upgrade, I'm not seeing the correct amount of memory.

We bought an 1GB memory stick and we only are seeing 512MB. I will open a ticket with the seller to try to do a change of these memory sticks.

Thanks for all

Regards

David

Hi,

Don't think I have ever run into such a problem myself.Though I have only changed the memory on the ASA5540 unit. Other than that I have never had to add/replace RAM on an ASA. Usually the whole device has been changed before there has been any need to add memory.

The higher end platforms which for example have 12GB RAM seems to have the situation that if they are running 8.2 or below they wont show all the RAM. I assume that this is related to how much RAM the actual software can support (like different Windows OS versions) since the after software upgrade the full RAM amount is shown. But this naturally is not the problem in your case.

The document I linked seems to mention a 512MB MEM Kit and other documents related to upgrade to 8.3+ software levels seem to suggest upgrade kits of 1GB. So I am kind of wondering if there previously was a 512MB MEM Kit (before the newer softwares) and now with the new softwares the upgrade kit is for 1GB. Maybe they provided you with some old memory kit instead of the actual 1GB you would need?

Can you confirm if the RAM that you got was actually 1GB or is it 512MB? Is there anything in the actual memory that would tell what it is? Maybe you can check online unless ofcourse it clearly states the amount of RAM on that stick.

- Jouni

Hi,

I can't confirm if the memory sticks are of 1GB because it doesn't have attached any label or references. The ASA5510 only had 256MB. Now, we have installed these memory sticks to have 1GB, but I don't know why the seller sends me an incorrect items. Maybe a mistake... Now, I have opened the issue with the seller. I am hoping their answer...

Thanks for all

Regards,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: