Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510 Security plus Licence - Need Gigabit interface

avburren1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am using asa 5510 version 8.2 and i want to upgrade my licence with the security plus licence because I need one interface ( eth0/1) to be in Gigabit.

Whats the process to install this licence and can we choose on which interface will be the gigabit function or is it only on eth0/0 and eth0/1?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rudy Sanjoko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, there is another thread on the forum that explain on process, see on this link

Regarding your other question for gigabit interface, it will be 0/0 and 0/1. You can't choose which interface that will be gigabit ethernet. 

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Rudy's correct answer, the process for installing it is to use your PAK which you will receive when you purchase the license to get an activation key issued (via the self-service Cisco licensing portal or by calling the TAC and asking for licensing).

You enter the PAK code plus your serial number and get an activation key specific to your hardware. A simple one line command then activates it. No service interruption is required to activate the license (at least not directly) but it's generally recommeded to shcedule a reload (service-affecting of course) to make sure the license stays put after cycling the firewall.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful answers.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rudy Sanjoko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, there is another thread on the forum that explain on process, see on this link

Regarding your other question for gigabit interface, it will be 0/0 and 0/1. You can't choose which interface that will be gigabit ethernet. 

Thank you, I bought and installed the security plus licence, it works well , LAN / DMZ  interfaces are in Gbit/s.

However I have one question:

When I backup my DMZ Server which is directly connected to the DMZ interfaces, The speed backup is about 800Mbit/min . ( I use BackupExec 2010)

Before I upgrade , with a 100mbit/s interface, the speed backup was about 400Mbit/min.

I only multiplied by 2 the backup speed. I would think I multiplied by 3 or 4. Is there anything to do more on the ASA ?

Thank you

Physical interface speed is only one of several factors that affects end to end performance. Traffic through a firewall is also subject to other processes that may affect performance. It also may not be the firewall at all but be in part due to capability of your server to the backup target.

Do you see significantly higher performance with hosts that do not go via the firewall?

Hi,

Yes with other servers not connected to the Firewall, speed backup can reach 3000Mbits/min.

I notice that I backup with the same remote agents on my different servers on a LTO4 media.

Backup is doing during the night so there is no traffic that may affect performance.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Rudy's correct answer, the process for installing it is to use your PAK which you will receive when you purchase the license to get an activation key issued (via the self-service Cisco licensing portal or by calling the TAC and asking for licensing).

You enter the PAK code plus your serial number and get an activation key specific to your hardware. A simple one line command then activates it. No service interruption is required to activate the license (at least not directly) but it's generally recommeded to shcedule a reload (service-affecting of course) to make sure the license stays put after cycling the firewall.

Hope this helps. Please rate helpful answers.

Ok, Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card