Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 / vlans / dhcp server

jeff_green
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Running V8.2.(2) on an ASA5520 and I'm trying to configure dhcp servers on vlans.

Is this actually possible or am I just misreading the Command Reference ?

I can configure the VLANs sub-interfaces fine (IP address, netmask, vlanid, nameif, security level, etc)

but when I try to configure a dhcp server via

dhcpd address   <start IP>-<end IP> <interface-name>

I get an error

"IP address range <start IP> to <end IP> is not within the subnet addresses <IP2> to <IP3> on the <interface-name> interface"

where <IP2> and <IP3> are some "crazy" IPs. Crazy is the sense that I can't figure out their relationship to the IPs allocated

to the sub-interfaces / vlans.

TIA,

3 Replies 3

andre.ortega
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

The to should be in same range of the interface.

Sample:

interface outside ip: 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

dhcpd address 192.168.1.5-192.168.1.10 outside

Regards.

apothula
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Could you please provide us a relevant piece of config and also the error message you are seeing ?

Also, prlease find below the guide to setting up ASA as DHCPserver,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806c1cd5.shtml

Cheers,

Nash.

Hi Avinash,

Well, I got this working by ditching the ASDM and using the CLI to get some sensible error reporting.

The DHCP address (pool) has to be well within the IP address range specified on the (sub) interface and that's even taking into

account the network & broadcast addresses plus that of the sub interface.

Many Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card