Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM 7-6-1 Font Size too small

kjawaid01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone

Wondering if someone can help here as I'm running out of ideas! I have a few ASA's that we monitor using the ASDM console (version 7-6-1). We recently changed our monitoring machine with a new one, OS is still windows 10 and we installed the same Java versions (8 update 91 - bth 32-bit and 64-bit)

The ASDM launches no issues and connects to each appliance, but the text is not readable

The webstart shows text which is just too small, and the app seems to overlap all the text - I'm sure this is a Java thing somewhere but cant see what needs changing?

I have attached some images and pasted the Java output below also - does anyone have any ideas?

Using JRE version 1.8.0_91 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User home directory = C:\Users\Kamran
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
m:   print memory usage
q:   hide console
s:   dump system properties
----------------------------------------------------
Application Logging Started at Thu Jun 16 09:30:45 BST 2016
---------------------------------------------
Local Launcher Version = 1.7.0
Local Launcher Version Display = 1.7(0)
OK button clicked
Trying for ASDM Version file; url = https://172.17.1.1:444/admin/
Server Version = 7.6(1)
Server Launcher Version = 1.7.0, size = 775168 bytes
Launcher version checking is successful.
invoking SGZ Loader..
Cache location = C:/Users/Kamran/.asdm/cache
2016-06-16 09:31:29,369 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
0 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup  - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing:
2016-06-16 09:31:31,502 [ERROR] CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@32668b89
2133 [SGZ Loader: launchSgzApplet] ERROR com.cisco.pdm.headless.startup  - CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@32668b89
CLI-PASSTHROUGH-DEBUG Inside doInitialProcessing messenger: chr@32668b89
No CSD version

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I had this same problem with ASDM after my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 - my co-worker upgraded ASDM to the latest which was just released and it fixed it.

asdm-781-150.bin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

kjawaid01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone

So i have found the issue to be dpi scaling, as the new machine has a high res screen on it

Not sure how to fix it yet though...

I had this same problem with ASDM after my laptop was upgraded to Windows 10 - my co-worker upgraded ASDM to the latest which was just released and it fixed it.

asdm-781-150.bin

aamsq11
Level 1
Level 1

I have same issue- please let me know if you find any solution for this. I have wasted 3 days to fix this now but no luck. 

Hi Mate

No fix so far, from what I understand this cant be fixed unless the ASDM software is re-written?

As its based on Java, Java is reporting that it is scaling aware and therefore Windows does not adjust the size of it. There is a manifest file across the internet that will resolve some apps but does not work here - I did put a post on a Java forum and a few of the gurus said ASDM needs to run on Java FX to fix it? Not being a java man myself I don't know how true that is

Will let you know if I do get an answer to it though

hi! thanks for the update. Yea, I have similar research results in regards to Java and ASDM compatibility. Please keep me in loop if there is any solution for this. thanks! 

abahret01
Level 1
Level 1

This happens because ASDM uses Swing which automatically tells Java that it is DPI aware.  Java passes this information along to Windows, so Windows doesn't scale it.  If you are using Java 7 or before, you should be able to modify the arguments that are passed to Java to override Swing's DPI setting by modifying the following line at "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Cisco Systems\ASDM\run.bat" from this:

javaw.exe -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true

To this:

javaw.exe -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true

Unfortunately, Java 8 now has this setting hard-coded into the javaw.exe file itself, so this method will no longer work.  Now you have to download something like Resource Tuner and modify the file itself. This is a good tutorial on how to modify it.

Great!! thank you it worked. just FYI i think ASDM uses javaws or javaw so you will have to edit that file rather than java.exe. I am running version 8

fyi, i found a free rescource editor that did the trick

http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

save a few bucks!

I've tried the run.bat change and still had no joy. Using Java v7.45 which should work but the fonts are still too small. Anyone got any other ideas?

Had same deal, ASDM 7.6.1 and ASA 9.6.

on W10, simply right click on the ASDM shortcut. Go to compatibility tab and check the box "override high DPI scaling behavior, scaling performed by: Application". That instantly fixed the issue for me.

I'm on the latest W10 as of 1/22/2018.

How did you do that?  When I right click on any of the ASDM shortcuts, I don't have a compatibility tab.  I tried the setting directly on the javaws.exe app, but that didn't work either.

When I open the file location, it is pointing to wscript.exe in System32, but I have no compatibility tab there either.

While ASDM is running, open task manager.  Right-click on the Java process and select open file from location.  The java file highlighted will have the compatibility tab for this setting.  However, all the recommendations for java on a high dpi system over WIN10 still don't work for me.  Will try an Win7 VM.  Can't believe Cisco hasn't resolved this yet.  Good luck.

Th

@declan001 wrote:

Had same deal, ASDM 7.6.1 and ASA 9.6.

on W10, simply right click on the ASDM shortcut. Go to compatibility tab and check the box "override high DPI scaling behavior, scaling performed by: Application". That instantly fixed the issue for me.

I'm on the latest W10 as of 1/22/2018.

This works! Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card