cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM & Java's latest update

JEFF SPRADLING
Level 1
Level 1

If any of you have updated your Java recently, you may have noticed a warning saying that future versions won't support self-signed certificates.  I've updated my Java run-time to version to 1.7.0_51 and suddenly the ASDM stopped working (unable to launch device manager).  Welcome to the future.

A workaround for this is to open the Java console, click on the security tab, and add the ASA to the "Exception Site List" (i.e. - https://10.10.1.1).  You'll have to do this for every ASA you connect to, and you'll have to launch the ASDM from the browser for it to work. 

In my particular experience, I have to allow the Java plugin in Firefox even though it's telling me there are vulnerabilities with it. 

Does anyone know if Cisco plans to fix this particular problem with Java?  Maybe by NOT USING JAVA?  It seems with all the issues Java causes, including one vulnerability after another, Cisco would already have written a new ASDM application without it.  It seems a little silly to continue to use something with as many security holes as Java has to manage your security appliance.

11 Replies 11

crumplezone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, This new java update seems also to have had an effect on the ssl-vpn login/automated startup in that for the previous version, users were able to accept the java terms and conditions and allow the vpn to run, however now, all that happens is that the system tries to scan for Java but fails, suggesting Java isn't installed.

Any update on whether this is a Java or Cisco issue would be welcomed.

mhanson2004
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the same boat here. Updated Java today and now I am unable to launch the ASDM. I did add the exception in the Java control panel but this has not fixed the problem.

Will anyone from Cisco chime in on the problem? This is very frustrating.

Thank you.

Mike

I also have this problem, and I could fix with this procedure but only for ASDM:

Instructions to launch from Application Cache Viewer

1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Double click on the Java icon. The Java Control Panel will start.
  2. Click on the General tab
  3. Click on the Settings button from the Temporary Internet Files section
  4. Click on the View Applications button
  5. Double click on the respective application from the list that you want to launch

But this procedure it's not working on a Java appliacation to record/load prompts on Cisco Unity Connection, I'll like to go back to the Java version that it's working, does anyone knows which version doesn't have this issue??

Regards,

Juan Carlos

I gave up and went back to Java version 1.7.0_45.  I now get the warning, but am able to use the ASDM with no issues.  Not sure if that'll help with UC, though....

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, I unistall Java version 7 and install Java version 6 update 45, and still have the problem.  Do I have to do something else??

Not sure but could you reboot your computer?

No, still the same.  I unistall all Java software, install Java SE version 6 update 45, but when trying to access ASDM via a browser to download Java access, it says that Java Web Start Application is not installed, some other file it's missing.

Any ideas that could help me??

Regards,

I think you need to re-install Java for the browser.  Also check to make sure that Java is enabled in the browser (control panel, Java, Security Tab.

At the end I keep Java version 6 Update 45 and just in case for future needs, I upgrade ASDM to version 7.1.5.100

Information of bug for Java 7:

Bug CSCum46193

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCum46193/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Hope this helps

stmsystems
Level 1
Level 1

I've updated to asdm-715-100 with partial success... Running Cisco ASDM as a Java Web Start application works, but installing ASDM results in a launch error with a similar exception.  From what I can tell, the difference is in ASDM-IDM versions. The dm-launcher.dmg provides v1.5(69) while javaws launches 1.5(70).

How can I install the newer version locally?  I'm on OSX 10.9.1 with Java 1.7.0_51-b13.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card