cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authoritative source of supported WCCP service group numbers?

bnidacoc
Level 1
Level 1

I've been researching WCCP as a potential technology to use for a project, but I haven't quite come across the authoritative source with a list of WCCP service groups.  I've found a small list here thankfully, http://doublef.org/archives/be-transparent-with-wccp, but it is a blog posting and not quite an authoritative source, like Cisco or a recognized standards body.  A similar question was posted at an *expert* site, but I don't have access.  I've found numerous documents at Cisco.com, but none seem to go beyond HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.  Is that the limit of what Cisco can do, or is there more?

If you've got any better information, please post it here for all to know.

Thanks.

BTW, ASAs are 8.x.

1 Reply 1

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are you looking for a list of what service groups map to which protocols? I don't believe a list like this exists based on the way WCCP configurations work. Basically, the service group number can be defined as anything you like, think of it more as an administrative ID number for a particular WCCP policy. When you define the service group on the WCCP server, you also specify the ports and protocols accepted by that service group. Then, when configuring it on the ASA, the service group number tells the firewall which policy to negotiate with the server. In other words, I can configure service group 10 to redirect port 80 in my environment, and you could configure service group 10 to redirect port 443 in yours.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card